ZERO SCREEN TIME, 100% FUN
So, we don’t have a TV at home and I have not been to the cinema since our daughter was born. You might find that surprising, especially since I taught film-making and animation for almost 10 years. But what puzzles people most is how we manage to raised our daughter screen-free. Well, it’s not as difficult as you might imagine and each post on this blog will explore this question!
To lead a quality life, you need to balance mental, emotional, spiritual, physical, sexual, psychological and social aspects of life with work and parenting. That’s a LOT in today’s world and screens usually take over some, if not all, of these aspects.
My goals with this blog are as follows:
- To give you original ideas and help you feel more creative, confident and adventurous in your parenting without resorting to screens.
- To provide you with information about things that are organic, natural, eco-friendly, non-toxic, sustainable and long-lasting by sharing my ideas and experiences in Art, Education and Natural Parenting.
- To equip you with valuable content for child-led, open-ended art-making and play and help you raise independent, creative children.
My hope is that you will find this blog useful and helpful and that it will give you ideas about making days with your children enjoying, fulfilling and memorable.
To begin, you will first need to make time for creativity in your life. So here is a simple exercise to get you started. This activity will help you find at least 5 minutes of uninterrupted time with your child (or yourself) daily.
- Download and print this FREE weekly calendar/checklist.
- There are two ways of using this calendar:
- Write down all the actives that you currently do (for each category) which help you stay balanced. Highlight categories in which you use screens. Notice any missing categories and think about ways of adding them back in.
- Jot down everything you do each day using empty spaces. Highlight screen-related activities which takes up too much of your life time.
- Pick 5-10 minutes of current screen time and replace it with CREATIVITY.
- Follow my blog on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date with original activities aimed at helping you connect with your child through creativity.
- You can also use this calendar to have an overview of your child’s day and see if any categories are missing. (Just ignore the “sexual” and “work” categories).
If you’d like me to let you know when new posts are up, click on the FOLLOW button on your right. And if you have any questions, ideas or suggestion, drop me a line at: RainyDaySunnyPlay@gmail.com.
Thank you for reading.
With warmth and gratitude,