NON-TOXIC, NATURAL & ORGANIC ART SUPPLIES FOR KIDS
Many popular art supplies contain toxic materials such as chemical solvents, rubber cement, PVC, paraffin wax, toxic varnishes and many others. Since children’s immune systems are more sensitive, exposing them to such toxic chemicals (especially for prolonged periods of time) is unhealthy.
Luckily, there are many alternatives. Below is the ultimate list of non-toxic, natural anorganic art supplies listed by categories.
Also, before you scroll down, I made a gift for YOU. As you probably already know, art supplies are parents’ favorite gifts because they are CONSUMABLE and encourage CREATIVITY. So here is a FREE Must-have Art Supplies & Materials for Kids Checklist printable you can download to help you with your birthday and holiday gift shopping.
***Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, and if you decide to purchase anything from suggested links or companies, I may receive a commission. Recommended products are either things I love using or think would be helpful for you. Making your purchase using these affiliate links helps keep this site running, so thank you kindly!
BEST ORGANIC CRAYONS
- Honeysticks 100% Pure Beeswax Crayons – These are made in New Zealand from non-toxic, natural beeswax. They make them in three sizes chunky (perfect for little toddler/baby hands), long (to last a long time) and thin (more like the regular crayons). You can even wipe them off surfaces with a damp cloth. They also smell of real honey and are therefor a very unique object which appeals to multiple senses (honey smell, waxy touch, colourful sight, sound on paper). They are not cheap, but for all the above-mentioned reasons a great investment nevertheless. A box will last a very long time!
- Wee Can Too Organic Veggie Crayons – Not very vibrant because they are made from edible, food grade, organic ingredients. However, they are the best, worry-free product for babies to experiment with.
- Eco-kids Eco-Crayons – No sharpening required and they are hard to break. These crayons are made from mineral pigments and natural wax and are designed to look like sea rocks.
- Eco-Crayon Sticks – Made from beeswax and soy wax.
- Azafran Organic Crayons – One of the least expensive organic crayons you can find.
- Crayon Rocks – Very original and fun, they are made in USA using natural pigments and American soy wax. These crayons can be used to help children strengthen their tripod grip muscles in preparation for writing. Due to their unique design, crayon rocks can be used by children with disabilities and developmental/ motor control disorders. They allow the child to make large/wide strokes and the colours are very bright. The recommended age for these are 3+ because they are small and can cause a choking hazard, so take note.
NATURAL PAINTS FOR LITTLE ARTISTS
Here are the safest paints you can find. And you know the best part? – They come in a limited color palette. You might think that not having many color choices is “bad.” But in fact, having a limited color palette will allow your child to learn how to mix colors easily and more efficiently. Limiting the color palette will also allow for less “muddy”-looking artwork and is a great way to introduce various color mixing games.
SAFE PAINT FOR BABIES TO PLAY WITH
- All Natural & Organic non-GMO EDIBLE Finger Painting Kit for Baby & Children
- Eco Kids Finger Paint Set
ECO-FRIENDLY PAINTS FOR TODDLERS, PRESCHOOLERS & YOUNG CHILDREN
- Earth Paint Kit – made with natural earth pigments, organic corn starch and tree sap, they are easily washable with water.
- Glob All Natural Paint Kits – These are powders that you mix with water. They are made from fruits, vegetables, flowers, spices and wash off in a way food does.
- Wee Can Too Original Natural Finger paint ‘Tottle Set” – Made from gluten free, organic vegetable powders, these paints are edible so safe for babies and toddlers.
ECO-FRIENDLY PAINTS FOR OLDER KIDS AND ADULTS
Natural Earth – The Complete Eco-friendly Artist Oil Paint Kit – As an art student, I used to use very toxic oil paint colors and products like turpentine. I just didn’t know any better, but when I found out how dangerous those products really were, I started to use gloves. But while I was protecting my skin, I was still inhaling the odors and my health at the time was not great.
When I became pregnant, I had to stop painting all together because I could not find any materials that were safe enough during pregnancy. I’m so happy now that I discovered Natural Earth Paint products and can even introduce Adèle to oil painting!
ORGANIC & SAFE PLAYDOUGH
- Eco-Kids Eco-Dough
- Wee Can Too Organic Veggie Mix and Go Dough
- The Creative Whale’s Marshmallow Clay
And to go with your playdough – check out this awesome ALEX Toys Artist Studio wooden playdough tool set!
MARKERS SAFE FOR SKIN
- Mod Paint Sticks – Solid Tempera Paint Markers for all ages, 12 vibrant colors, non-toxic and washable
- NaturePlay Triangular Natural Grip Dry Erase Markers – 6 Colors with an eraser
- okoNORM Easy Baby Felt Tip Pens 10 Colors – These color change markers are magical. Check out our mindfulness activity using these markers here.
- Faber Castell Grip Colored EcoPencils – 24 non-toxic, acid-free, triangular shaped color pencils for an easier grip. These pencils have grip dots which means that a) your child’s pencils will not roll off the table and b) they are easier to hold.
- LYRA Waldorf Giant Colored Pencils – 12 unlacquered, triangular shaped color pencils. I got Adèle these pencils when she was one so that I didn’t have to worry about her putting something toxic in the mouth while drawing. Since these are made of natural wood and so big, they are great long-term investment. Also, due to their color, design and natural qualities, they are perfect for Waldorf-style classrooms and families.
- Tombow Recycled Colored Pencils – 24 pencils made from recycled American wood. They come in a metal storage box.
MESS-FREE ART SUPPLIES: MAGNETIC DRAWING BOARDS – ETCH-A-SKETCH
Magnetic Drawings Boards (like the classic Etch-a-Sketch) allow your child to practice drawing and writing. They can also be used for creative games and help develop hand-eye coordination. I have not yet found any wooden ones on the market, but the plastic ones are made of non-toxic materials. This, however, does NOT mean that they can be chewed on/placed in the mouth – so, make sure that your child is past that developmental stage before playing with one.
Here are some of the best Magnetic Drawing Boards that you can find. Smaller ones are excellent for trips or family outings. (Adèle was lucky to get her first one on a long-distance flight and has been playing with it every since). Larger ones are excellent for older kids, especially for practicing writing or creative art games.
- BATTOP Big Size Kids Drawing Board
- Magnetic Drawing Board Mini Travel Doodle
- Etch A Sketch – Classic
- Fisher-Price Slim Doodle Pro
- NextX Magnetic Drawing Board Write and Learn Creative Toy
- Magnetic Doodle Drawing Board For Kids
- Magnetic Drawing Board
- SGILE Magnetic Drawing Board
- SGILE 13X17” Magna Doodle Sketch Erasable Pad
MISC ORGANIC & NATURAL ART SUPPLIES FOR CHILDREN
- Organic School Glue by Tessa Bunny’s
- Prang Hygieia Chalk
- Pacon Tru-Ray Construction Paper
- Westcott KleenEarth Recycled Kids Scissors With Microban Protection – Made from stainless steel and 70% recycled plastic
- okoNORM Easy Aqua Pens 10 Colors – Can be used with a brush to create watercolor effects!
- Aquadoodle – Draw N Doodle – Classic Mat with BONUS Pen and Cap – Aquadoodle makes images appear with only a bit of water using a pen (included) for hours of mess-free creativity and fun.
- Melissa & Doug Rainbow Stamp Pad – 6 Washable Inks
- Fabula Organic Pencils — This is one of the BEST INVENTIONS OF OUR TIME! These pencils are recycled from flowers, coffee and tea. And you know the best part? They turn into plants when you are done using them. They actually grow!! I am not affiliated with Fabula in any way, but their product is just too fabulous not to talk about!
- Also, check out my article about creative mindfulness activities and how to use a Buddha Board (another mess-free artistic tool) to stop tantrums and improve sleep.
CHILD SIZE DISPOSABLE GLOVES
If your child is old enough to use professional art materials or you want them to use toxic materials safely, then consider getting disposable, waterproof gloves. We have tested many so far and most can be used by 4+ year olds, although they are really designed for larger hands. I have not been able to find anything smaller, so if you are aware of any gloves that would suit toddler hands, please let me know.
- Glovies Multipurpose LATEX-FREE DISPOSABLE Gloves for Kids – 50, latex free, powder free
- Hygloss Products, Inc. Latex Gloves for Kids – 100, latex, powdered, assorted colors
- Bubble Glove: Best Kids Nitrile Gloves – 50, latex free, powder free, fragrance-free
Are there any natural, organic or eco-friendly at supplies you are aware of that I should test and review?
Also, would you like to give the gift of art? If so, here is a FREE printable Must-have Art Supplies and Materials for Kids Checklist. You can use it to make your own art basket gifts or as a reference when creating your child’s art studio.